Back in 2020, Instagram celebrated its 10th birthday by allowing users to change the appearance of its icon from the app’s settings.
This functionality has since been removed from Instagram, unfortunately.
However, if you’re using an iPhone or Android smartphone and you’re tired of the brilliantly-colored default icon, you can still change it by following the steps below.
Change your Instagram icon on an iPhone or iPad
Note that you must be running iOS version 14 or higher in order for these steps to work.
If you are not currently running this version of iOS on your device, update it before proceeding. See the instructions to change Instagram icon on an iOS device below:
- Open the Shortcuts application on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the + (plus) icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Under Next Action Suggestions, tap Open App.
If you don’t see the Open App icon, you can instead tap Add Action and then type Open Appin the Search for apps and actions field.
- 4. Next to Open in the white bar at the top of the page, click App (displayed in light blue).
- Scroll down the list of apps and tap Instagram.
You are returned to the Open App screen and Instagram is now displayed in light blue font next to the word Open in the white bar at the top.
- Tap the blue circle with the three lines on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Add to Home Screen.
- In the Home Screen Name and Icon area, tap the image icon to select the image that will be used for the icon. You can tap Take Photo, Choose Photo, or Choose File to choose an image.
- Tap the image you want to use.
- In the New Shortcut field, enter the text that will be displayed under the Instagram icon. You can simply enter Instagram, or enter another shortcut name.
- Tap Add in the upper right corner. The new icon is added to your home screen.
- To hide the original Instagram icon, find it on your home screen and then press and hold it. Select Remove App > Remove from Home Screen.
Change your Instagram icon on an Android device
You can also change the Instagram icon if you are using an Android phone, but you will need to download a third-party application to do so.
- Open the Google Play store and download the X Icon Changer application.
- Press and hold the background of your home screen and then tap Widgets.
- Tap X Icon Changer in the list.
- Press and hold the X Icon Changer icon.
- When you see the home screen, drag the X Icon Changer icon to where you want to place it and then let it go.
- Next, tap the Instagram app icon within X Icon Changer.
- Choose a new shortcut and tap OK. You can choose one of the available options or add your own.
- The new Instagram icon is displayed on your home screen.
- If you want to remove the original Instagram icon, you can do so by pressing and holding the app and then tapping Remove from Home or dragging it to Trash.
The bottom line
Now, you should be able to change Instagram app icon on both iOS and Android devices. The “new” icon should be visible on your phone’s home screen.
You can add more custom icons for almost any app you own. App icons don’t have to be bold and boring anymore.
Change the Instagram app icon now to be unique and have a cool home screen. Stay tuned for more Instagram tips on our blog section.